Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Penny Wise


Quite a while ago I mentioned that I was planting Pennyroyal under my roses as an aphid detterent. Well, it seems to be working pretty well. I noticed a few aphids about a month ago but since then they have disappeared. My roses are in pots and ants used to be a huge problem, again, I have noticed a big decline. (Maybe I should consider it as ground cover for my lavender in pots as I've noticed the ants have moved in!)
Pennyroyal has a helleva reputation. It's reportoir ranges from ant & flea detterent to poison and abortafacient
What I'm not sure of is how much the pennyroyal is competing with the roses for food, as it is so invasive. And talking about invasive - Kathryn, it's to early to tell wether my garlic chives are going to be a problem or not. I'm not sure how much I'll mind either, because I to like the flowers.

2 comments:

kjohnson said...

Heloise, what roses are you growing in pots. I am considering trying some this year. Could you post a picture of the roses and pennyroyal together?

Jesse said...

Wow, it's good to know that pennyroyal works so well. Thanks!